The Grumman Goose is a versatile amphibious powerhouse flying boat. Only 345 were produced, and less than 30 have survived until today. Getting a chance to fly or ride in one is an experience to remember. The aircraft has a well balanced feel and excellent water handling qualities. The thrill of a water take-off is absolutely breathtaking!
This particular Goose was once part of the Antilles Air Boats fleet that operated a passenger service in the Caribbean under the direction of Captain Charles Blair and actress Maureen O'Hara in the 1960s and 1970s. If you are looking for adventure and a thrill of a lifetime, the Grumman Goose is the answer. It can be that magic carpet to reach remote islands that are otherwise inaccessible. As a collector's aircraft, its value increases each year.
The attached pictures show some of the restoration on the Goose. Almost all components in the A/C have been fabricated new or replaced with old stock:
- Windshield brackets (corrisian) and glass replaced.
- Control yoke tubes removed and sent out for rechrome and torque tube replaced with new old stock from Pacific Coastal.
- Custom extension fabricated from blocks to make new belly ribs, stringers and stiffeners for web.
- Fabricated new stringer end clips that attach stringers to web front, back and middle.
- Fitted and drilled all new stringers in doghouse.
- Vertical stringers and center berlly stringer fabricated and replaced and lower doghouse skins made.
- Reskinned much of the lower fuselage front and rear.
- Parts sent out for heat treatment as required.
- Brakes dissembled, cleaned and new linings installed and pistons replaced with new.
- Tail wheel mechanism was removed and overhauled. All tires new.
- The controls were removed and stripped and replaced with new hinges and bearings; the RH aileron was replaced.
- Floorboards replaced with new marine plywood and new seat rails installed.
- Flaps were sent to Canada and overhauled by Sealand Aviation and installed at American Aero.
- Both pneumatic flap cylinders were dissembled and repaired with new seals and gaskets.
- The starters, magnetos and rocker box covers have been replaced and a new alternator installed.
The list goes on -- the repair bill file is about 2 inches thick -- but this should give you a general overview. It can be finished/painted etc., to your specifications.
A/C Serial # 1084
#1 Eng 321:06 TSOH
#2 Eng 321:06 TSOH
#1 Prop 32:30 TSOH
#2 Prop 32:30 TSOH
600 nautical miles
150 knots (278 km/h)
|Is this item covered by the United States Munitions List (USML)?||No|
|Product has Conformance Documentation||No|
|Product has Inspection / Test Reports||No|
|Product has Traceability Documentation||No|
There are no questions for this listing.
- Payment Instructions: Payment will be via wire transfer once a sales contract has been completed.